Nov 21, 2012

A Long Break

It has been a bit less than 3 years that I didn’t work. At the beginning, I was OK with it. I went to Turkey, waited for my niece’s arrival to our world, spent 8 months of her life with her and prepared our wedding. Wedding preparation was a challenge. I didn’t have Chris with me. We were going to get married in Istanbul and needed lots of paperwork to be made, translated into English and submitted. Also, we had more than 50 guests invited from overseas. (30 of them ended up coming to the wedding) I had to arrange list of hotels from different price range, negotiate their prices with their marketing managers, passing the info to our guests and once they decided where they want to stay, make their bookings. It turned out pretty well. Most of them wanted to stay in the same hotel (guess what? A hotel that I didn’t find!!!) and others found their own hotel. Himm, thanks for the effort Zeynep!! I still think that it was a fantastic idea for them to stay in the same hotel or in the same region as they partied all the way and enjoyed Istanbul, shopping etc. I was so happy when peopled liked to be in my city! Ok, I admit. It was a challenge but I liked to be challenged and I (with help of parents and fiancé) managed it pretty well. I might have skipped one thing though, seat booking for our honeymoon flights) I need to tell you about that in another post. Really!! Our wedding was great. At least for me. Most people think that weddings are time and money consuming rituals which doesn’t contain entertainment for the couple themselves but for the quests. (I had so much fun and Chris maybe wouldn’t admit but he had too.) I don’t think so. I believe a wedding is not just a dinner or dance in one night but it is a process. In order to prepare and organize a wedding, there are several steps. Those steps make you closer with your family, with your fiancé and make you understand the limits of your relationships. I believe the discussions, arguments or agreements between fiancés, families keep you stronger. How many times in your life that you go out with your mother and pick a special dress with special meaning and go through fittings and have fun? After that, to see the happiness when you want to have a piece of her bridal lace to fulfill “something old” at your wedding? or you go and pick the groom outfit with him, see him incredibly handsome and think “he is doing this for me.” I like traditions. They help me to feel connected. As a person, if you have that feeling you cannot be lost in this big world. Our wedding was fun, modern in many ways but also it was part of a tradition. We shared our happiness with our families and friends. Thanks to everyone who helped us to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment